Alcohol or Substance abuse and addiction is a serious problem that affects millions of American adults every year. Every individual has a unique past and everyone is different emotionally and physically hence following a standard traditional treatment approach may not bring the desired results for everyone.
In a traditional approach there is no individualized treatment. You check in, detox, and then go to addiction-education lectures, group therapy, and AA twelve-step meetings. There is lack of customized and personalized approach for each individual. Most programs follow a traditional 28–30 day program length. Once they complete these courses of treatments you go back to the real world. And the real world is filled with temptations, and unfortunately most people relapse. In fact, according to the Journal of American Medicine Association, 40% to 60% of patients treated for alcohol or other drug dependence return to active substance use within a year following treatment discharge. This emphasizes the need to follow a more holistic addiction treatment process for achieving overall recovery and minimizing the possibilities of addiction relapse. In many instances, holistic therapies, such as yoga, meditation, acupuncture, and massage, are used to augment more traditional addiction treatment therapies, like individual counseling, behavioral therapies, and medical detox.
What is holistic treatment?
Holistic treatment views the body as a whole entity rather than separate and unrelated body systems. All parts of the body work together as one.
Drug and alcohol addiction cause damage to the person in all aspects that is: emotionally, physically, spiritually, socially, and mentally. A holistic drug and alcohol rehab treatment facility includes traditional treatments such as around the clock medically assisted detox, individual counseling, and group meetings along with holistic treatment therapies. The overall goal of the holistic addiction treatment therapy is to discover one’s true sense of self and give the addict a purpose in the external world.
Techniques used in Holistic addiction treatment
Holistic treatment uses both the traditional and alternative or complementary treatments techniques. These treatment programs include:
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment: The phenomenon of dual diagnosis describes a situation when a person is diagnosed with both a substance use disorder (such as alcohol use disorder) and a mental health disorder (such as depression, anxiety, etc.). Dual diagnosis cases are very common, especially among certain groups like the homeless community, veterans and those in the criminal justice system.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a form of treatment that involves inserting very thin needles through a person’s skin at specific points on the body, to various depths. Research suggests that it can help relieve pain, and it is used for a wide range of other complaints. It helps to stimulate and regulate the flow of energy in the body to create a healthy balance.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Through the use of evidence-based therapy including CBT dysfunctional behavioral patterns are corrected. It is a type of treatment that is based on a concept that behaviors and feelings are caused by one’s thoughts as opposed to an outside stimuli such as situations, events or people.
- Spiritual Counseling: Spiritual counseling provides inspirational support by identifying the high worth and value of deeper being within each person. Independent of religious affiliation or preferences, this work guides clients to experience their own core essence and teaches them how to empower themselves to bring what they desire into their life.
- Family Therapy: There is often much to repair in terms of family relationships when a person struggles with addiction. Family therapy can be the beginning of this repair process. Family addiction counseling can help progress an addict’s recovery, as well as rebuild strength and peace within the family.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI): Motivational interviewing for addiction treatment is a goal-oriented method of therapy and counseling which focuses on the client. It encourages and emphasizes positive results and seeks to help an addict get over the hump of ambivalence in how he or she is behaving.
- Yoga: Yoga is a systematic practice of physical exercise, breath control, relaxation, diet control, and positive thinking and meditation aimed at developing harmony in the body, mind, and environment.
- The 12-Step Program: The 12-step program is a very effective strategy used in the recovery process. It is geared towards empowering the recovering addict to introspection and taking responsibility for their own outcome in life.
Benefits of Holistic drug & alcohol addiction treatment
Combinations of holistic therapies with traditional addiction therapies help achieve high rates of long-term success. Holistic therapy can benefit the addict physically, mentally and emotionally. Some of the benefits include:
- Highly individualized approach
There is no singular “best” approach to treating alcoholism and drug addiction. Each impacted individual is unique, and the best approach must address the uniqueness of the person. The best holistic addiction treatment programs create personalized treatment plans for all participants.
- Focuses on the mind, body, and spirit
Rather than just treating the physical effects of addiction, this method combines every distinct part of an individual and ensures the health of mind, body, and spirit.
- Caring and Compassionate Environment
Holistic approach provides a very safe, secure and compassionate recovery environment that encourages openness and healing. The individuals working are trained professionals who believe in caring and compassionate environment towards the addicts.
- Long-term recovery
The use of holistic addiction treatment can help people feel more at ease, and more responsive to their treatment, and thus help patients cope with the challenges of detox and rehab. Experts consider having a greater chance of resulting in lasting abstinence from addictive drugs through the holistic approach.
- Wider range of treatment options
Holistic approach provides a wide range of treatment options which can provide customized treatments based on individual needs. Treatments such as massage, chiropractic therapies, acupuncture and acupressure, yoga and meditation, among others—in addition to more traditional methods of care.
- Better Aftercare and Follow Up
Recovery from alcohol or drug abuse and addiction doesn’t stop when a treatment period ends. At its core, aftercare should be considered a type of continued treatment. Holistic treatment keeps this in mind and builds effective aftercare programs such as outpatient treatment, group counseling and individual therapy and others.
Why choose Holistic treatment therapy?
- Holistic treatment works to uncover and heal the cause of addiction.
- Holistic addiction treatment enables addicts to reconnect with their inner spirit and spirituality.
- The treatment works with the body rather than against it and uses herbal medicine and other natural alternative treatments where possible.
- Holistic addiction recovery treatment works more than any other treatment because the focus is on the person as a whole and treatment is individualized to the individual’s specific needs.
The Holistix Treatment Center located at Margate, Florida is one of the best drug and alcohol rehab center providing custom treatment program to fit the needs of each individual. Contact Holistix Treatment Center today to find out how we can help you get started on the road to recovery.